At first thought, it can seem difficult to develop the same affinity for the school you attend as an online student in comparison to a student that attends on campus. However, there are plenty of ways to connect with other online students, alumni, and the university itself in your own city.
- Sports: It’s finally football season, which means there are plenty of opportunities to meet up with your fellow Dawgs to cheer for UGA. The UGA Alumni Association hosts football game watch parties across the country, in most major cities. Consider watching this week’s UGA v Notre Dame game with Georgia alumni and other online students.
- Social Media: Most colleges have social media accounts that students can interact with daily. You can strike up a conversation with other students and alumni or just keep updated on what’s happening in different UGA departments. Of course, UGA Online would love to hear from you on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
- Meet-ups: The Alumni Association also includes general meet-up events onto its calendar. For instance, “NYC Dawgs Night Out” is happening later this month in New York. Plenty of events like this can be found online.
- UGA Branded Items: Believe it or not, it’s pretty easy to strike up a conversation with someone you see wearing UGA clothing. Talk about the latest game, or maybe just shout out a quick “Go Dawgs!”.
- Graduation: Attend your graduation ceremony in person! Celebrate your accomplishments and stand with your fellow graduates. UGA has spring and fall commencement ceremonies that students can attend-- just make sure you check cap and gown requirements first!
- Class Message Boards: As you can probably tell by our blog profiles, many students make friends in class through class discussion boards and even meet up occasionally. There is a chance some of your classmates live nearby; why not meet up to study or just hang out?