The University of Georgia has been named the top tier one research institution in the nation in Victory Media’s Military Friendly Schools 2021 rankings.The designation recognizes the uni
Endorsement in Reading Education
If you are certified to teach in Georgia, our reading endorsement may be added to your teaching certificate. Offered through the Mary Frances Early College of Education, the University of Georgia's online Endorsement in Reading Education program provides certified classroom teachers with focused immersion in the teaching of reading. Georgia teachers from pre-K to grade 12 obtaining degrees with a focus or major other than Reading Education will benefit from this three-course sequence designed to enhance literacy instruction and practice. The endorsement program is only valid for Georgia educators who have or will have a professional certificate at the bachelor’s or higher certification level in any teaching field.
It is possible to add a Reading Endorsement to any teaching certificate in Georgia. The Language and Literacy Education Department has been approved by the State Professional Standards Commission to offer the Endorsement.
To qualify for a reading endorsement to be added to your initial teaching certificate:
- Successfully complete one of the following introductory courses in reading instruction and assessment: List of acceptable courses.
- Successfully complete a three-course series specific to initial certification grade band levels (P-5, 4-8, 6-12, K-12)
- Successfully complete a reading endorsement portfolio via Folioteck
- Apply for the reading endorsement to be added onto your teaching certificate through UGA College of Education's Office of Student Services upon successful completion of the program. Read the Endorsement Program Completion and Certification Checklist for more information.
The University of Georgia is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award baccalaureate, masters, specialist, and doctoral degrees. Contact the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097, or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of the University of Georgia.
- Computer with current operating system (Windows, Mac, or Linux). Additional peripherals such as webcam, headphones, and printer may be required.
- High-speed internet access.
Tuition & Fees
|In-State Tuition||$370 per credit hour||9 credit hours||$3,330 USD|
|Student Fees||$597 per semester||1.5 semesters||$ 969 USD|
|Total Program Cost||$4,299 USD|
Tuition and fees are subject to change. Current tuition and fees are available on the Office of the Registrar website. If you register for less than 5 credit hours, student fees are reduced to $372 in that semester. Tuition and fees for endorsement only programs follow the standard UGA tuition and fees.
Online students pay the following fees: Connect UGA, Green, Special Institutional, and Technology. See UGA Tuition and Fees for the complete schedule of fees. Potential additional costs include textbooks and software.
Additional costs may include:
- Exam proctoring fees
- Technology upgrades
Visit the Office of Student Financial Aid for information about financial assistance.
Consult your employer about the availability of tuition reimbursement or tuition assistance programs.
Active duty military, veterans, and military families should visit Veterans Educational Benefits to take full advantage of available financial assistance and educational benefits.
University System of Georgia Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
The purpose of TAP is to foster the professional growth and development of eligible employees. For more information, see Tuition Assistance (refer to the Distance Learning section).
Credit and Transfer
Students who are not currently enrolled at UGA should apply to the graduate school for the Graduate Certificate program in Reading Education and are not required to take entrance exams and submit letters of recommendation.
- Application – Submit online to the Graduate School Admissions. Application fee: $75 Domestic/$100 International
- Select Campus - Online
- Statement of Purpose - Submit to the Graduate School online in your application
- Transcripts - Submit unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended as part of the online application. Send official transcripts after you are offered admission.
International Applicants - must also submit TOEFL or IELTS scores.
- Fall: July 1
- Spring: November 15
- Summer: April 1
- Fall: April 15
- Spring: October 15
- Summer: February 15
Students in this fully online endorsement program will take a minimum of 9 credit hours.
For students with P-5 initial certification
For students with 4-8 or 6-12 initial certification
For students with K-12 initial certification
Additional information and disclosures regarding state licensure for professional practice in this field can be found at the UGA Licensure Disclosure Portal.