The University of Georgia Graduate School offers a free Financial Education Program to all UGA Graduate students. The goal is to educate and support students to ensure they can manage budgets, consider the role of both loans and savings and develop sound financial management practices while in graduate school. These live webinars are available every Friday from January 25 to March 1, and a different topic will be highlighted each week.
Available topics are as follows:
- Budgeting–Financial Advice for Graduate Students
- Budgeting lies at the foundation of every financial plan. Here’s everything you need to know about creating and maintaining a budget so you can pay off debt and accomplish your short- and long-term financial goals.
- Recording: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/865917783229642291
- Credit–How to Build an Outstanding Record
- Friday, Feb. 1, 2019 Noon - 1:30 PM
- Credit is the bedrock of most financial exchanges in the American economy. From credit scores and reports to applying for new credit, this session will cover the building blocks you need to develop and maintain a credit record that will make you a competitive consumer.
- Registration URL: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5840109183515916290
- Taxes–How They Work and Why You Should Care
- Friday, Feb. 8, 2019 Noon- 1:30 PM
- Very few people understand the U.S. tax system, yet understanding how taxes work can provide many opportunities for efficient planning and saving. This session will explain the foundational components of the income tax process and provide strategies for making the most of your income.
- Registration URL: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4952771414284405251
- Student Loans–Repayment Plans and Strategies
- Friday, Feb. 15, 2019 Noon - 1:30 PM
- With so many options available for student loan repayment, it can be difficult to sort through it all to identify the best path forward. This session will explore the various repayment options for your student loans and provide strategies for identifying which option will be best for your future.
- Registration URL: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5156436152120627715
- Employee Benefits–Retirement, Insurance, and Fringe Benefits
- Friday, Feb. 22, 2019 Noon - 1:30 PM
- As part of your overall compensation package, employee benefits present a significant opportunity for additional income and cost savings. In this session, we will provide the tools you need to evaluate an employee benefits package when comparing job offers, as well as how to select your specific benefit options once you start the job.
- Registration URL: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/2242712746328197379
- Investing–How to Begin Preparing For Your Future
- Friday, March 1, 2019 Noon - 1:30 PM
- Saving and investing are crucial components of anyone’s financial plan. Join us for this session to learn why investing is so important, how it works and how you can start taking steps toward securing your future retirement.
- Registration URL: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/913033752440090115
The University of Georgia also offers an online M.S. in Financial Planning available through the college of Family and Consumer Sciences. This program is designed for individuals who are seeking not only to sit for the Certified Financial Planner (CFP®) examination, but also a master’s degree level experience that goes beyond certificate education and explores the financial planning profession with experienced UGA faculty.