Rebecca Jackson-Artis, a screenwriting graduate of UGA’s Low-Residency MFA Program in Narrative Media Writing, has found success in her original web series, Totally B
Endorsement in Reading Education
If you are certified to teach in Georgia, our reading endorsement may be added to your teaching certificate. Offered through the Mary Frances Early College of Education, the University of Georgia's online Endorsement in Reading Education program provides certified classroom teachers with focused immersion in the teaching of reading. Georgia teachers from pre-K to grade 12 obtaining degrees with a focus or major other than Reading Education will benefit from this three-course sequence designed to enhance literacy instruction and practice. The endorsement program is only valid for Georgia educators who have or will have a professional certificate at the bachelor’s or higher certification level in any teaching field.
It is possible to add a Reading Endorsement to any teaching certificate in Georgia. The Language and Literacy Education Department has been approved by the State Professional Standards Commission to offer the Endorsement.
To qualify for a reading endorsement to be added to your initial teaching certificate:
- Successfully complete one of the following introductory courses in reading instruction and assessment: List of acceptable courses.
- Successfully complete a three-course series specific to initial certification grade band levels (P-5, 4-8, 6-12, K-12)
- Successfully complete a reading endorsement portfolio via Folioteck
- Apply for the reading endorsement to be added onto your teaching certificate through UGA College of Education's Office of Student Services upon successful completion of the program. Read the Endorsement Program Completion and Certification Checklist for more information.
The University of Georgia is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award baccalaureate, master's, specialist, and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097, or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of the University of Georgia.
- Computer with current operating system (Windows, Mac, or Linux). Additional peripherals such as webcam, headphones, and printer may be required.
- High-speed internet access.
Endorsement in Reading Education Program Cost
Tuition & Fees
|In-State Tuition||$363 per credit hour||9 credit hours||$3,267 USD|
|Student Fees||$597 per semester||2 semesters||$1,194 USD|
|Total Program Cost||$4,461 USD|
Tuition and fees are subject to change. Current tuition and fees are available on the Office of the Registrar website. If you register for less than 5 credit hours, student fees are reduced to $372 in that semester. Tuition and fees for endorsement only programs follow the standard UGA tuition and fees.
Online students pay the following fees: Connect UGA, Green, Special Institutional, and Technology. See UGA Tuition and Fees for the complete schedule of fees. Potential additional costs include textbooks and software.
Additional costs may include:
- Exam proctoring fees
- Technology upgrades
Visit the Office of Student Financial Aid for information about financial assistance.
Consult your employer about the availability of tuition reimbursement or tuition assistance programs.
Active duty military, veterans, and military families should visit Veterans Educational Benefits to take full advantage of available financial assistance and educational benefits.
University System of Georgia Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
The purpose of TAP is to foster the professional growth and development of eligible employees. For more information, see Tuition Assistance (refer to the Distance Learning section).
Credit and Transfer
Endorsement in Reading Education Admission Requirements
Students who are interested in obtaining the Endorsement in Reading Education must be admitted to the Graduate School of the University of Georgia. Prospective students may either be pursuing a graduate degree in another department, or may apply to the graduate school for non-degree status.
Non-Degree Program Application Checklist
Students applying to the graduate school for non-degree status are not required to take entrance exams or to submit test scores and letters of recommendation.
- Application – Submit to the Graduate School online. Application fee: $75 Domestic/$100 International
- Statement of Intent – Send to the department. A statement of intent should clarify the candidate’s relevant background, interests, and goals, and indicate their intent for the online Reading Endorsement program in their statement.
- Résumé or curriculum vita – Send to the department.
- Official Transcripts – Submit unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended as part of the online application. Send official transcripts after you are offered admission.
- Fall: July 1
- Spring: November 15
- Summer: April 1
- Fall: April 15
- Spring: October 15
- Summer: February 15
Endorsement in Reading Education Program Curriculum
Students in this fully online endorsement program will take a minimum of 9 credit hours.
For students with P-5 initial certification
For students with 4-8 or 6-12 initial certification
For students with K-12 initial certification
News & Events
|UGA Included in Princeton Review's 'Colleges That Pay You Back' List|
|UGA Remains on Kiplinger Best Value in Public Colleges List|
|Faculty and Student IT Guides from EITS|
|UGA’s Online Programs Ranked Among the Best In Nation by US News|